[Guide] How to create a spa brand
If you’re planning to create a spa brand – this guide is for you.
This guide will give you a general overview of what it means to create a spa and give you insight into the process and the necessary steps you will need to take to establish yourself and stand out among the many spa brands in the spa industry.
Step 1: Creating a business plan
Building a chair requires blueprints, writing a text requires research, and creating a spa demands a business plan. To be able to create a spa, successfully establishing yourself on the market, requires a solid business plan with a concrete roadmap you can follow. This includes:
- Consider what type of spa and services you want to offer, and the income you need to generate to stay afloat
- Consider what equipment you need to invest in
- Decide what audience you want to attract to your spa
- Consider at what days and times you want to operate
- Consider and decide on what products you want to offer
- Deliberate about the employees you want/need to hire and the future training they’ll require
- Decide on what marketing strategies you want to adapt
Step 2: Finding a location
“If you’re not seen, you don’t exist”. It’s as simple as that. When creating a spa, one of the most important aspects is WHERE your operation will take place. If you’re considering an area you’re not particularly familiar with, consider hiring a real estate broker.
When searching for a location when you create a spa, it should be:
- Easily accessible by car or public transport
- Offer plenty of parking opportunities
- Able to attract loads of foot traffic
- An attractive area, well lit, and safe
- Surrounded by other retail business which will help you attract business
When you’ve identified the neighborhood where you want to create a spa, decide on the square footage to support the blueprint of your spa building and find an exact location in the neighborhood where it to be.
Step 3: Getting financing
Every new business requires starting capital to establish themself on the market. How you do it is up to you, either raise the capital from family, friends or simply take out a loan.
Initial costs to establish and create a spa include:
- Buy/upgrade spa salon equipment
- Purchase of spa and beauty supplies
- Build/remodel the salon or spa
- Hire staff
- Market your business
- Emergency coffer stash
Step 4: Developing the user experience
The user experience, the “meat” of your business, will require careful consideration on how it should look and feel. The better attention to detail you have, the better experience for your customers.
To create the best user experience to your abilities, here are a few ideas you might consider:
- Design a welcoming and interactive website that is both visually appealing and useful to the user
- Arrange merchandising to enhance sales
- Provide adequate spaces and equipment such as locker rooms and lockers for your guests to store their belongings
- Soundproof the rooms to create a quiet and calming environment
- Invest in good equipment, in the end “You get what you pay for”
- Set the mood with adjustable lightning and appropriate music of your choice
Step 5: Hiring, training, and retaining the right staff
Running a spa is in the industry of serving people. This makes your greatest resource your staff as they are the ones servicing your clients. Be sure to carefully select a variety of staff with different personality types to be able to accommodate whoever walks through the doors of your spa.
Be sure to develop and implement a holistic and solid training program to help your staff train and practice their skills and reach their full potential.
Apart from the actual spa technicians and therapists providing the spa services, you’ll need someone to support you with a wide variety of administrative tasks including:
- Booking appointments
- Ordering supplies
- Handling work schedules, time off, and personal needs
- Tracking and monitoring expenses and revenue
- Developing marketing and advertising strategies
- Hiring new staff, performing performance reviews, and mentoring young and/or inexperienced staff
Learn how to create a spa with Raison d’Etre
Everything we’ve touched upon in this guide is just the tip of the iceberg, and the process might not be as easy as this guide makes it out to be. If you’re planning to create a spa and/or establish spa brands on the market, contact Raison d’Etre today. We offer spa consultants who can help you make the process of creating a spa a breeze, helping you with:
- Reducing design cost and purchasing mistakes
- Streamline the spa development
- Completing tasks quicker
- Introduce you to beneficial vendor relationships
- Reduce development costs through utilizing experts
Visit our spa brand creation page and read how we can make your dream of creating a spa brand a reality today.